Books, Travel Inspiration

My Journey From the Cubicle to a Nomadic Life – Now in a Book!

Last monsoon, I sat holed up in the same room, gazing at the swaying palm trees through the large windows, trying to make sense of the words scattered in my mind and across my notebook. A jasmine-scented breeze wafted in to shake me out of my daydreams. As the pitter patter of rain filled my ears, I worked furiously to pen my words, my stories, my journey.

This monsoon, reliving my susegade digital nomad life in Goa, I am delighted (and in equal parts, nervous) to share that my first book – The Shooting Star – will be released soon! Published by Penguin India, my dream publishing house and one of India’s biggest, this long journey of writing and editing a book is finally reaching fruition after many years.

Limited copies are now available for pre-order on Amazon and Flipkart!

Shivya Nath, The shooting star book, non fiction travel books, latest books by indian authors

The book cover!

My first book, The Shooting Star

The book (named The Shooting Star after my blog), charts my journey from the cubicle to the road and from small town India to remote corners of the world, through a series of untold stories – some too bold, some too embarrassing, some too personal. I write candidly about my upbringing, relationships, battles, triumphs, adventures (some illegal) and life-changing.

I wrote and re-wrote many drafts before the current version of the book. I gave up many times. But in February 2017, close to my 29th birthday, something changed. I knew it was time to commit. I had stories to tell, perspectives I needed to share. In cafes, homestays, even monasteries across Uttarakhand, Thailand, Slovenia, Georgia, Spiti and Goa, I wrote. And even though it was becoming such a big part of my life, I didn’t tell a soul about the book because I had no idea if it would really be published someday.

But now that the book is out in the universe, I’m relieved. My secret’s out. This adventure is yours now, this journey is yours.

Sneak peek of Chapter 1

1: Ayahuasca

2016

“I don’t know how I landed up there.

My head was spinning uncontrollably. My body felt like it was on a roller coaster that was constantly changing direction. It took enormous effort to prop my head in my hands, but I had to, for I had the feeling that it was detaching itself from my body, slipping away like a ball rolling down a slope. What was once the soothing hum of the Tena River, cascading down just steps from our makeshift shed, had turned into a deafening roar that grated against my ears; I wanted desperately to shut it out. Hot tears were burning my cheeks, flowing as intensely as the river, for I was convinced I would never regain control of my senses again. After several failed attempts, I managed to force one eye open and saw imposing trees shimmering faintly in the dim moonlight; it gave me a marginally comforting feeling that I was still alive. If only I could pick myself up and somehow find my way out of this vast Amazon rainforest in Ecuador…”

The Shooting Star – Limited Copies Available Now!

A million thanks to so many of you for pre-ordering the book! Amazon just ranked it a best seller in both travel writing and travel (non-fiction), and I’m so immensely grateful.

If you end up pre-ordering your copy today on Amazon / Flipkart, drop me a comment or email so I can send you a virtual hug <3

The shooting star book, Shivya Nath, The shooting star quotes, travel books by indian authors

A quote from The Shooting Star.

Do you dream of writing a book someday? What would you like me to share about the book writing process?

Connect with me on InstagramTwitter and Facebook to follow my adventures, the journey of my first book and the book/travel events I plan to do across India in October 2018!

• Shivya Nath says

Thanks Sivapriya! Yes, the kindle version should be available by mid to end September. Will share an update when it is.

• Bhavya Tanneeru says

I have been following Shivya’s blog and was not so sure if I would find anything new in this book. But then, I’m glad I read the book. It’s a quick read with around 200 pages and very well written. Unlike a regular travelogue, this book is so much personal. It’s like reading the author’s personal diary. It takes a lot to keep one’s soul bare open for everyone to read and judge. Not an easy thing at all and Shivya’s work was very honest and personal. That’s the reason I was connected to the book. The book brings out how travel is actually a life changing experience at every level, from discovering one’s self to breaking the norms to purging onself of guilt or other boxed up feelings. It was both envious and interesting to read about the author’s journey on the “road not taken” in a responsible manner by being respectful to the local communities, their environment, traditions and beliefs. It’s exactly this kind of travel that actually sparks the wanderlust in the readers rather than a just few clicks of some luxurious hotels and edited photographs of touristy spots. With a very few pictures but a lot of personal experiences and great stories, Shivya succeeded in transporting the reader to all the places along with her, be it the Amazon forests or Alps or the Thar desert. Knowing about the native communities, nomadic tribes, constellations, ethical dairy practices was such an eye opening experience.The book leaves the readers with so much to think about and introspect, get inspired and that’s a strong reason this book is a must read.

1. Wow! Can’t wait to read the rest of your experience with ayahuasca 🙂

2. Congratulations on your book and all the very best! Although I’ve been a silent reader, I’ve enjoyed observing your journey. Now I’ve pre-ordered your book. I’ll write to you again, once I read it. 🙂

• Shivya Nath says

That’s great, thanks for sharing R; hope you’ll enjoy reading the book too!

3. Anna Camps says

Congrats….wishing you continued success and self fulfillment. Met you when you overnighted at Thanna’s.
    Have been following you since…and I thoroughly enjoy your vividly exciting blogs. All the best.

4. Dharven says

Hi Shivya!

It is so motivational to see, how a girl of same age taking big decisions in life and is not afraid of the Future. It has always been amazing to read your stories, they are like a combo of Hindi movie masala and Disney fairy tale.
    Just preordered the book, really excited!

• Shivya Nath says

That’s awesome! And haha, I’m not sure if ‘Hindi movie masala’ should be a compliment :p

5. Sudha Pillai says

I ordered a copy the day you announced it. Looking forward to reading the book. Congratulations and wish you the best with the book. And here’s to many more adventures 😊

• Shivya Nath says

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear what you think. Fingers crossed 😉

6. You are truly one of the shooting stars.. and no matter how much you say we all out here can do it, we can’t.. you are a legend..❤️ 🌠 😊

• Shivya Nath says

That’s NOT true! I hope the book will give you conviction that yes, you can do it too 🙂 x

7. Ramakant Shivnarayan Bhutada says

Just ordered on Amazon. Cant wait to read it ..

8. Hey, I would love to pre-order. But I’m travelling right now — any plans for a kindle edition? I see only paperback as an option on Amazon.

9. Sonia says

You need to link to your book on Amazon using their universal country link so that when someone clicks on it, it doesn’t only go to the India Amazon store (it will automatically detect the buyers country and redirect to the appropriate Amazon store, i.e, Amazon.com, Amazon.uk, etc.). Some will get confused when they land on your book page and it shows the price as 212.

10. Congrats to you! Any idea when it will be available outside the subcontinent? Looking forward to reading soon!

11. Heartiest Congratulations for your book.
    Eagerly waiting for read your book ( ordered ).
    Best wishes. Keep inspiring.

12. Congratulations on your first book! You are an inspiration for many. Waiting to read the book.

13. Sherab Tenzin says

Congratulation. As a follower of your blog and your travel blogging journey, I will make sure to have peep into it. Do you have plan of making it available in kindle version too?

14. Good on you, Shivya! This is thrilling news. I was in Italy when I read about your book and I thought of how you inspire the rest of us to go and follow the desires of a traveller’s heart. While I can’t even dream of doing what you do, this last vacation came at a time when I needed to really have my spirits lifted from my daily routine. Italy was fantastic. And so are you! 🙂 Can’t wait to get my hands on your book. When we meet next, you have to sign it for me! Congratulations once again.

15. Many congratulations Shivya. Will read it as soon as i get a chance to.
    That must have been another roller coaster ride. (The process of writing a book.)
    Wow! am really happy for you. Here’s to many many more such journeys. Loads of best wishes…

16. Sudipa says

Many congratulations shivya.you are true inspiration to 100 1000 girls of inInd

17. Hello, I really like your way of writing and follow all your posts. I really want to read the book but am currently studying in the USA. Is there a way I can get it delivered here? Thank you.

18. Congratulations! Not telling anyone about the book was a great idea. I have found that keeping a big project to oneself before completion makes it more likely that we’ll actually finish it.

Looking forward to reading it. Good luck.

19. Hey Shivya, I enjoy reading your (super honest) writing when I get some free time. Am also curious to what’s life like being a full time (not to mention lady) travel blogger from India, and learning more about your adventures. I live in remote New Zealand and want to pre-order your lovely book, but it’s not showing up on amazon*.com* (which is where my Kindle is registered with). Happy to know if there happens to be any place else I can buy a copy / e-version. Best wishes and I’ve got a good feeling that your book’s gonna rock!

20. Looking forward to reading your book. So impressive to see someone not just dream, but live their dream. You are a true inspiration!

21. Prathibha says

Hi Shivya, Just saw your interview on NewsX channel. Will be ordering your book right away. As someone who has been following you for so long, I feel so incredibly proud of you and inspired. Best wishes to you.